Wednesday, July 5, 2017

7/5

Today, I am reading and learning about Pyret. This is my first time hearing of Pyret, so I'm reading through the 'getting started guide.' The language seems pretty similar to Python, which I am experienced with, so I'm not having too much trouble understanding it.

I'm getting the impression that Pyret is meant as a basic language, not in a way that's necessarily bad, but because it's meant to be accessible as a stepping-stone into more complicated ones. In this way, it reminds me of Scratch. For those who might be unaware, Scratch is somewhat of a pseudo-language developed by MIT, however very little coding is actually involved. Instead, blocks of code that execute commands are placed into the order that they will be executed in, allowing for simple games and animations using cartoon characters. Obviously, Scratch is more so meant as a way to learn syntax rather than as a robust language. However, the 'getting started guide' doesn't feel like it's meant to teach absolute beginners, so it seems as though Pyret is perhaps those who are a bit more advanced than at Scratch-level. But, one other thing strikes me about the similarities between Scratch and Pyret- the only place (that I can tell) that you can compile programs in both of those languages is on the language's respective home site. This gives me the impression that both languages are used primarily for learning instead of practically in software or web design.

I've spent today reading up on Pyret and messing around in the editor. Tomorrow, I'll try my hand at writing a real program in the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment